Thursday, March 8, 2012

Book Review: The Iron Daughter

Book being reviewed: The Iron Daughter
Author: Julie Kagawa
I give this book:
4 out of 5 owls.

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.
Spoiler Warning: Don't read ahead if you haven't already read the book and are planning to do so.  I wouldn't want to ruin it for ya. ;)

I am, without a doubt, into the Iron Fey series.  What took me so long to finally read the books?  I keep asking myself this exact question.

Let me just start off with Ironhorse.  How did this enormous Iron Fey go from being a scary, creepy, I may possibly have nightmares about him enemy, to an ally of Meghan’s??  A loyal friend, even? This little twist in the story seriously threw me for a loop.  While reading The Iron King, I remember being truly frightened of him and his booming voice.  Also feeling relieved that I’ll never realistically have the opportunity to come across a fictional creature such as he.  But then, during The Iron Daughter, Ironhorse had to go and make one of those super intense Faery promises, vowing that he will protect the princess at all costs, or die trying.   Ironhorse began to grow on me.  It was a little shocking, to say the least.  Then, what happened next? Ironhorse up and died on me.  He ultimately kept his promise to Mehgan, and I ultimately shed a tear or two for the iron giant.

As for Meghan, she still had a tendency to annoy me at times.  Don’t fret, my friends!  My like for the Princess definitely out-weighs my dislike.  And what was up with her suddenly having iron glamour powers?! I can say I never saw that one coming, but I liked it.  A lot. I’m making the assumption right now as I start book 3 in the series, her power over the Iron Fey is going to play a big part in who becomes leader in that side of the Faery world. It obviously already has, but I’m thinking more power will come to her. With that said, whether she actually becomes Queen of the Iron Fey as I’m speculating, remains to be seen for me.

I also enjoy watching Meghan grow as the books progress. She’s accepting the fact that her life will never be the same again, and instead of dwelling on a lot of the negativity, she’s beginning to embrace it more and more. Of course she misses home, misses some of the normal teenage moments she use to take for granted, but she’s realizing that there’s much more to the life of an Erlking’s daughter.

Is it just me or does anyone else find Grimalkin to be a little odd?  I’m curious to find out what the cat’s deal is.  From his stand-off-ish, careless attitude, to the reason why he always seems to disappear when sh*t hits the fan.  Then he mysteriously reappears when they need him as a guide to their next destination.  And let’s not forget his constant reply of “I’m a cat” whenever anyone asks questions.  There’s something fishy about that cait sith. Very fishy.

And lastly, I LOVE how intricate Julie Kagawa is in her descriptions of the different types of fey.  She goes into great detail, and each time I read a description of how one looks, I find myself wishing I was a talented artist who could put my mind’s eye of these characters onto paper.  The descriptions seem amazing -- some sound truly frightening and some devastatingly beautiful.  Definitely something to ponder.

On to the next book in the series, The Iron Queen!

Stay bookish, my friends,

2 comments:

  1. I love this series. But let me go ahead and tell you that you'll always be wondering about Grimalkin.

    Maybe one day Julie can write a story that's just about him! I'd read it, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the series too! I just finished the last book a few days ago.

      And I totally agree with you on Grimalkin having his own story. I'd love to get a glimpse inside his mind, it must be an amazing place.

      Delete

Welcome, welcome! Are you an obsessed bookworm like me? Well then, please feel free to comment.