Sunday, March 4, 2012

Book Review: The Iron King

Book being reviewed: The Iron King (Iron Fey #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
I give this book:
4 out of 5 owls.
"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.  Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. 
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart."
I know I’m a little behind on this one, since many of my friends have already read it.   The Iron King has been on my Goodreads to-read list for-ev-ah!  Just bear with me on this one.   First of all, I ABSOLUTELY adored this book.  I love it!  Now whether its one of my all-time favorite reads is debatable.  I’ll have to judge that after I finish the entire series. 

To be quite honest, I’ve never really gotten into the whole fairy/faery/fey thing while reading other fairy novels.  They’re either not very entertaining to me, or just lacking that particular spark that I like to feel while reading a good book.  You know the one.  I live for that spark as a book-lover.  THIS Fey book, on the other hand, had THAT spark and was chocked-full of adventure and suspense.  Not to mention, there happens to be more than one choice of heroic males that we all love to oh-so-crush on.  I myself am leaning a little more towards Ash and his all around bad-boy demeanor.  Regardless of me having a little soft spot for Puck's witty style and humor, I'd probably only choose to love Puck as a best friend.  I'd definitely want to have him around on bad days to make me laugh, while snuggling up next to Ash whenever I felt like it.  Sound good?  Coolness.  I can roll with that.

As for the main heroine, Meghan Chase, I truly felt for the girl many times within the book.   She went through a whole lot of not only emotional pain, but physical pain as well.  Much, much more than most 15/16 year olds go through.  Ever.  She did tend to get whiny at times -- which was what annoyed me the most about her -- but I’m certain I would too if  I went through the same experience at that age.  Hell, I’d probably whine right now as an adult.

All in all, as I’ve said, I truly adored this book.  I’ve got high hopes for the rest of the Iron Fey series, In which I highly doubt I’ll be disappointed.  I would without a second thought definitely recommend The Iron King to anyone with a love of YA supernatural romance.   I’m sure they’d feel the same way I do.

I’m definitely looking forward to diving into the next three books in the series.  If they’re anything like The Iron King, with all the book’s nail-biting, heart-pounding moments, I’m sure I’ll love them all just the same.

Spreading the literary love from mine to yours,

4 comments:

  1. Iron King is the bomb dot com! Now, if only I can get the reading mojo back I will finish them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your reading mojo needs to come back in a hurry! I need my reading partner to tell me all about the books she reads and rec them to me. I mean, it's not like I don't already have a mountain of other books to read or anything. ;)

      Delete
  2. lovly review
    btw i love owls/loving the layout

    new folower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Owls are my favey fave. =)

      And thanks for the comment.

      Delete

Welcome, welcome! Are you an obsessed bookworm like me? Well then, please feel free to comment.