Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday!

This week's Top Ten Tuesday list hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
is all about the Top Ten Words/Topics That Instantly 
Make Me Buy/Pick Up A Book
  1. Young Adult - Of course I couldn't make this list without first including YA!  Whether it be a bookstore or the library, that's usually the section in which you'll find me browsing through the books. 
  2. Dystopia - Obsessed doesn't quite cover it.  I'm a dystopian genre nut!  What does that say about me?  The fact that I can never turn down a dark and gloomy, end-of-the-world kind of book?  I enjoy dark stuff, it keeps me thinking. 
  3. Paranormal Romance - Ever since I was a little girl, the signs have always been there.  While most girls favored Disney movies like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, mine were Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.  I've always taken a liking to romance stories with a twist, or better yet, romance stories where one of the characters isn't completely human.  Now as an adult, I almost always choose a paranormal romance novel over a regular romance novel.  Again, what does that say about me?  Not sure, but I'm happy with it.
  4. New - You know when you're happily walking through the library in search of your next read and you pass the shelves holding the books that have those colorful, eye-catching labels slapped across the spine labeling those books as "New"?  That's exactly what I'm talking about.  I return home from the library toting AT LEAST one of those new novels 85%-90% of the time.  There's something about the possibility of me being the first person to read that particular copy that makes me want to read it even more.  And besides, who doesn't love a NEW book?
  5. The name of any author of any book I've read before and loved - This one mostly pertains to me actually buying a book, especially right now with me living in Brokeville.  I'm more inclined to buy a book of an author I really like, just because I know I'm taking less of a chance with my money  Don't get me wrong, I love reading books by debuting authors!  *points to #4* That one says it all.  When you get right down to it, once you find an author that you feel you have a connection with, it's always easier to buy one of their books over and over again.
  6. Cover Art - Y'all know you've read a book based on the cover.  Of course you're taking a major chance, but I'm a sucker for a book with an amazing cover.  For example:
    I bought these two books about three years ago, I think the reason why is.... *coughcough* obvious.  Funny thing is, I still have yet to read them.  They have been taking up the same space on my bookshelf ever since I bought them, only because I fear that the story inside won't do the cover justice.  I need to quit being preoccupied by other books and finally read them!
  7. Ireland - I enjoy reading novels based in Ireland.  Ireland is beautiful and I hope to visit someday!  Plus, I love daydreaming about those cute Irish boys in the books. *wink*
  8. Beach/ocean - Especially in YA novels, my curiosity is piqued if the beach is portrayed in the cover art. 
  9. Mystery - I love when I'm kept on the edge of my seat while reading a good mystery!
  10. Dark - While I'm a sucker for some sappy romance, I also like to occasionally take a walk on the wild side and read a dark novel that lacks a happy ending.
Do you have any words or topics of your own?
Please do share if you do!

 Lots of bookish love,

5 comments:

  1. Great list! I have to agree with you that without it being YA I usually have no interest (although, there are exceptions).
    Here’s my Top Ten
    New GFC follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting and thanks for the follow!!

    There definitely are exceptions, I'd have to agree with you there. Sometimes I have to get my hands on a more adult type of book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all books that take place in the beach an during the summer!

    www.booknerdsjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it's socially acceptable for everyone to read Young Adult books now! They are some of my favorite, fun reads. I'll have to follow you on Twitter now :)
      Steph @ The Unlikely Librarian

      Delete
    2. I think a ton of us unconsciously banned together and made reading YA socially acceptable! I've been laughed at many times over the years for it, but I could care less. Turning other adults into YA fans makes it all worth it.

      Delete

Welcome, welcome! Are you an obsessed bookworm like me? Well then, please feel free to comment.